Talis Aspire Reading Lists

Welcome to Talis Aspire Ideas Forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to cancel a list review

It seems that once a review is requested or started, it has to be completed. There isn't anything in the application that allows a user to cancel review requests once submitted. Might be useful to have a option to cancel somewhere in the application, particularly if reviews are set against a list/item in error.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Reviews  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  Keji Adedeji responded

Cancellation of reviews is not something we will be addressing in the reviews refresh

2. Removal of duplicate user profiles

We seem to have lots of duplicate user profiles for some reason. We also used to get this in talis list and i would occasionally check that no lists were associated with one of the accounts, and delete that one. I don't think we can delete user profiles in Aspire can we? Would be good to be able to tidy up

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We will not be focusing on this due to low votes. This idea has been declined and moved to the archive. The change to reporting off the database will allow us to improve reporting so that we don’t have to report over two lines.

3. Compressing sections

It would be useful to be able to compress/expand sections of a long reading list, eg weekly readings. This would avoid scrolling through lengthy lists and make the list look more accessible and less daunting for a new student.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Improvements to list view which will be delivered in phase 4 should negate the need for this with the improved toC

4. Creating a widget/iFrame at list-level for embedding into a webpage

It would be great if you could embed a widget/iFrame at list-level into a webpage.

This would allow for better promotion/visibility of the list - at present it is just a link. It would be especially good for short lists of key resources for embedding into a subject support site.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  2 comments  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. More batch edit list options

We want to be able to carry out actions on multiple lists at once. E.g. we would search various criteria for lists (so you might need to add better search functions for this too) and then be able to tick all in the list or tick one by one, and then carry out a list action: assign list owner, invite a user to be a List Publisher for several lists at once, archive, change time period, change licence, publish, request review, any list edit function really...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  List Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We will not be focusing on this due to low votes in the 2012 ideas survey

6. 'Institutions holding this' field

An academic would like to have a field at the point of bookmarking to enter library holdings of other institutions for a title, especially in the absence of local holdings. Is it possible to have such a field, similar to COPAC, that tell ones which libraries hold a title? Thank you.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reviews  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We will not be focusing on this idea now due to low votes in the 2012 Ideas Survey.

7. Ability to remove 'expected' dates from display

When a book is on loan, the availability might display something like "6 copies (On loan, Expected 27/5/2011)" on Aspire. We need the ability to remove the display of the expected date - it's something we hide on our opac as it's just not reliable enough. Further, when we have historical items that for some reason aren't shadowed but are on loan and were due back in the past, it's very confusing. I'm sure the expected date display is useful in some situations, so a configuration option for switching it on or off would be ideal.
    Thanks,
    Georgina

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow customisation of fields shown in availability section

The availability section shows "collection", "shelfmark", and "availability", and fields are automatically assigned to each of these headings.

However, different LMSs and different sites' usage of them will mean they use fields in various ways, so my suggestion is giving users a way to configure which field goes to which column.

In our case, we're a single site and the "library" field for all items is UXBRIDGE. This is the field shown under "collection" but is the same for 99% of items so we'd prefer "location" to be used here (which is in brackets in the availability column)... but I'm…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Config & Customisation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Book cover image sources

At the moment Aspire gets its book cover images from Amazon. However for licensing reasons if we link to the campus bookshop for availability we can no longer use Amazon cover images. Could an alternative source be added? Eg we already get cover images in the OPAC via Syndetics.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As discussed in the comments, Aspire sources its images from whoever your bookstore provider is. We have moved away from considering migration to OL as is no longer an actively maintained project. We do not have any plans in the short term to change our source for book jackets and due to low votes in the 2012 Ideas survey, we will not be focusing on this now.

10. Passing new approved requests to LMS

When any item is approved for purchase Aspire to configure an output using the EDI standard (or other recognised standards) to allow us to automatically update to the LMS (Voyager supports EDI).

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reviews  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Duplicate notification

From an academic/subject librarian combo ...

Where items are duplicated on a list - can we be alerted?

I think this is to help gauge the number of copies that might be required but Julie is currently on leave so I can't confirm that.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We will not be focusing on this due to low votes in the 2012 ideas survey. The planned resource demand report may also address this requirement

12. Order of Lists in the Add to List drop-down list

Now that I have several lists I am working on in My Lists- each time I use the Create and Add to List function when bookmarking a resource- I have to select the list from the drop-down list. It's very easy to add an item to another list other than the one I am currently editing.

I've tried re-ordering my lists in My Lists so that the last one edited is at the top- but as soon as you come out of My Lists to bookmark item- the list reverts to the default order.

Is it possible either to be…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  chrisc responded

The underlying issue here was that the list within My Lists was getting very long. There is a story elsewhere which we’ve accepted and marked as Planned which will allow you to remove items from My Lists to keep the collection short and relevant.
    However, although useful for Expert users we feel altering the sort order in the Create and Add dialog based on the last known order in the My Lists screen would be too disorientating for less frequent users. So on balance we are going to decline this idea.

13. Removing past dates from drop-down lists in Create New List and List Copy

We have quite a few years’ worth of dates in the drop-down list when we create or copy a list. We would like to see all past dates removed from this list – why would you want to put a past date on a new list?
    Not having to scroll through to the bottom would save a lot of time in our workflows. Also when showing academics how to do a list themselves, it’s important that it doesn’t take too long or appear complicated.
    If this is not possible, can you at least order this drop-down list in reverse so…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

It is already possible for us to hide your older time periods so that when creating a list you see only the current time periods to choose from. All time periods are available for reporting still.

Please do raise a support ticket with a request to hide your older time periods and the Services Team will action this for you.

14. LCN reporting

I am resurrecting an old idea that wasn't persued do to lack of votes! It would be useful if we could generate a report which shows all items linked to an LCN number which no longer exists in the library catalogue. We publish more than 2000 lists a year and order items for most. We need a reliable way to check that the LCNs we have linked to are still 'live' as cancelled orders can cause an LCN to exist long enough to be linked to a list. Once the item is cancelled by a supplier the LCN is invalid…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We are considering similar workflows in order to look at PDA packages but this may not be implemented exactly as described in your idea.

For other ideas on how you can approach this task please raise a support ticket and we can discuss those options with you.

15. Clear sort when sorting bookmarks

Currently, when you choose to sort the My Bookmarks list by one category, then choose to sort the My Bookmarks list by a different category, the initial sort is retained. This leads to very confusing results in the list.

It would be great if the initial sort could be cleared when a further sort is selected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Recent changes button

We'd like the recent changes button to convey information such as when a note has been added/removed from a reading; when metadata has been updated etc.

This would help co-course organisers who join edit lists, and alert students to changes made by their course organisers.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow individual users/tenancies to customise columns in all reviews in Reviews 2.0

It would be useful for individual users/tenancies to be allowed to customise the columns that display on the all reviews list in Reviews 2.0, for example to remove the stage column from the view and instead have the time period displayed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add library call marks to reports

Should be able to get library call marks (in our case from Primo) made available in reports. This would speed up the end to end process of getting items available as required for the course.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The library availability shown in a list is pulled as live data and not stored in the system. This would make it hard to surface in a report. Due to the low number of votes we won’t be taking this idea further at this time.

19. Share my bookmarks

I would like to suggest a ‘share my bookmarks’ option. I believe it would be very ‘current’, considering the ‘share’ buttons are all over the web and social media today.

At the moment I’ve been showing some tutors how to export their bookmarks (as a .ris file) from a published list and then import them into their ‘my bookmarks’ section. Because we are piloting the reading lists this semester, we are still creating a lot of lists for some academics before we make them list owners.
    I believe that a ‘share’ option would simplify this process. I see it as…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bookmarking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Due to the low number of votes we will not be taking this idea forward. You can already export a list and import into ‘My bookmarks’ if you are handing over a list. This we believe meets the need of your idea. In the new list view, you are able to Share individual resources by copying the link.

20. Ability to report on LCNs which no longer link to a valid catalogue record

It would be useful if we could generate a report which shows all items linked to an LCN number which no longer exists in the library catalogue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 12 13
  • Don't see your idea?