How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

hide section

Currently there is no option to hide/unhide sections of lists, we would like to see the option to allow gradual release of lists, and to publish those sections which are ready before a list is complete.

66 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Olivia Walsby shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  AdminLaura Unwin (Admin, Talis) responded  · 

We have been reviewing this idea following on from the list edit work that has been taking place and would like to now explore this piece further.

This is an example of how an idea may be declined at a point in time but as we explore and develop new areas we do review all ideas past and present and consider them all.

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Colin Bovaird commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like Talis to revisit this for several reasons:

- Our institution uses 2 VLEs, one of which is an in-house system which does not support embedding of sections of a list.
        - For our other VLE (Moodle), very few academics have opted to embed sections of lists - in the vast majority of cases they've opted for a simple link to a complete list.
        - Students come to resource lists from a variety of routes, not just Moodle (e.g. via a Google search).

As with previous comments, this is something our academics have asked for consistently, e.g. one academic who likes to alternate readings from year to year; others that want to update lists as they go; team-taught modules where some academics have updated their section of the list, but others have not yet done so; etc. As hiding sections of pages (e.g. in Moodle) is common practice for many academics they are surprised when the same functionality is not available in resource lists.

Re. resource lists updated by Library staff: for long lists received late in the day from academics, very often we only have time to update the early sections of a list - we publish this and come back to complete the list when time allows. At present we need to add a note such as "Later weeks still to be updated" which isn't very satisfactory as students don't always see this. It would help a lot if we could simply hide the sections still to be worked on instead.

• Lucy Clifford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't a very logical response. If you have timed release of sections in your Learning Management System but a fully published list in Aspire, then your lists *will* be out of sync - there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

If you add a 'hide section' option into Aspire which is respected by the LTI tools, then only visible sections in Aspire will be visible in your LMS, so both systems will always be in sync.

This functionality is something our academics have also asked for, for many years.

• David Jakovincic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's really disappointing to hear. Here at Monash University we have a Reading & Reserve team who create lists for Academics and the ability to hide a section or a couple of bookmarks would be hugely beneficial.
        We are often asked to roll over a list from a previous year however want to review the content so ask for only a certain portion published. It is a lot more work for us to delete the bookmarks and re-do them again. As no two people work on the list in consecutive years on occasion having them in our bookmarks list is not always an option.

Having a section we could tick 'Hide' and move all items we want unpublished would be an outstanding option that we have craved for...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would very, very much like this as our lecturers often want to release readings as they go. Agree with Brighton.

• University of Brighton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is something our lecturers have asked for, they specifically don't want people reading ahead and want them to focus on one week's reading at a time

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I review/re-use sections within my reading lists from year to year and sometimes need to 'park' a segment within the course for a year or two. I'd like the feature to be able to hide sections within a reading list so that I can re-use them in future years without them being visible in the current year

• Angie donoghue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would definitely like the ability to show/hide and time release items on a list.
        While the LTI developments for VLEs could help in this regard it won't meet the needs of many of our academic staff nor will it meet students' needs.
        One of the drivers for adopting TA was because it enabled academic staff to bring together resources they were recommending to students all in one place. Finding recommended stuff located in different locations throught a VLE has been a complaint of students. While you would, as an acamdmic, be able to time release sections of a reading list for teaching purposes you would still want to have a complete list located somewhere in the VLE module so students had a central source and would want control over the release. Angie

• University of Brighton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keji, can we have an update on this? It says planned as of dec 2012, but is it still in the pipeline? If not, we'd want to revive the idea on the 2014 forum. Claire

• Adam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea because it means you have the option to publish the archived reading lists sooner. For example publish weeks 1 to 6 and hide weeks 7-12 while you update them.

• Kevin Deane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I missed the voting too but think this is a very important development, especially when using this tool from year to year

• Ian McGregor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although I think this is a good idea, our experience is that students like to read ahead and actually kick up if they cannot see their lists before the beginning of semester.

• Martin Foy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

has there been any recent development of this functionality? At BU we are very interested in adaptive release. I have not added a vote as the tag suggests it is already planned.

• Emma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,
        Just wondered when this might happen as I've had a few requests for it now. I've taken a look at the roadmap and can't see where it would fit.

Thanks,
        Emma

• Ian McGregor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like Angie, I missed voting for this but would strongly support it's development.
        Is there a time frame for this. I have also received feedback from a lecturer at Monash that this would be very useful.

• Annette Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It could be useful to take this to the item level and be able to choose to make a particular item on a list published if required.

• Olivia Walsby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a had another request for this feature from one of our academics for the following reasons...

'...a way to hide sections of the list without removing them (this would be useful for courses that may not have exactly the same lecture structure each year, or for lists that may be shared across two or more similar courses)'

• Olivia Walsby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've had this request again from another academic who would like to see this feature for the following reasons...

'... a way to hide sections of the list without removing them (this would be useful for courses that may not have exactly the same lecture structure each year, or for lists that may be shared across two or more similar courses'

Feedback and Knowledge Base