How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

Viewing additional metadata in the Review screen

We are currently looking at the workflow for ordering books on Coutts OASIS database and piloting working directly from the Review screen list in Aspire. However, a title search often results in too many hits and an ISBN in a direct hit but does not show other available edition (in particular the availability of a later edition or an e-book). It would be useful to have an 'overlay' in the title field showing additional metadata for the item (author, publisher, year etc) so that library staff could easily do an author/title search of our supplier database without having to click through to another screen.

Similarly, would be useful to see overlay of library availability on 'Click to Check '.

Annette Moore
University of Sussex

8 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Annette Moore shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Adminchrisc (Admin, Talis) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Georgina,
    Sorry for the confusion I'd not updated the idea properly. We consider the idea to be complete as all the metadata is included by way of an overlay now. You're right, this idea is a duplicate of an existing one (also marked as complete).

If you'd prefer to have the columns configurable then this would be a new idea. The idea is viable, but if you choose to raise it I'd like to understand what extra columns gives you over the data available in the overlay. We can discuss within the new idea's comment feed.

Thanks,

Chris

• Georgina Parsons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm slightly confused as this Idea says 'completed' but 'development is underway' (so it's not finished?) The duplicate Idea "Additional metadata fields in the Acquisitions Review screen" also seems completed but with the solution as an overlay.

Is it not possible to have a config box where you can select which columns you want to display each time you're in the review screen? (Some reviews are for checking links so we need OpenURL showing as well as DOI, for example.)

I'm adding this as a comment rather than a new idea as I'm confused by the status of this one and wondering if the answer means this is not a viable Idea anyway, but I can create a new Idea if preferable. Thanks.

• Adminchrisc (Admin, Talis) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Annette,

We're still planning to do something similar to what you suggested at some stage. Before we get to that, we want to make sure people can easily view other places a resource is used within Aspire from the review screen.

The reason we want to do that first is that there is a work around for the viewing of additional metadata - you can always click on the item title to take you straight to the item details, or click Edit Resource from the review screen to change any metadata. Agreed though it would be better if this came up in a dialog from the review screen itself.

Thanks,

Chris

• Annette Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chris, are you still reviewing this option? The new review screen released on Thursday just shows the title under the item field. A while ago I thought idea of some kind of overlay showing the full metadata of an item was discussed.

Feedback and Knowledge Base