How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

Adding a Cancel button to the Bookmark item preview screen

In the Bookmark Item preview screen ('Add this item to your bookmarks') a third 'Cancel' button needs to be added alongside the 'Create and 'Create & Add' buttons. Clicking on this would return the browser to the source screen. Once at the preview screen, there is no option within Aspire not to proceed with Bookmarking the Item - while, of course, a List editor may have (a) changed their mind; (b) selected the wrong thing; or perhaps more commonly (c) be disappointed by the quality of the extracted metadata (Title, URL, 'Web Page' type) for non-supported platforms and not want to continue with this method of adding the resource.

7 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Richard Cross shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminIan Corns (Talis) (Admin, Talis) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have heard this comment (about the need for a "cancel") half a dozen times, twice from academics. Although I agree with Chris's sentiment, the lack of a cancel button creates an uncertainity in the users mind (academic told me that he literally was at a loss what to do to "stop it"). I think there is an expectation now, in web apps, to have an explicit cancel action.

• Richard Cross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chris - I can videograb this behaviour if you need it; but for our Library Catalogue at least clicking the browser Back button in the Item preview screen simply reloads the preview page.

It is possible to fast-mutli-click the button sufficiently to force the back behaviour to work, or to select the source catalogue page from the drop-down list of visited pages, but neither are intuitive or easy.

Would you not see it as a standard user expectation that a preview screen of a dataload into an application would incorporate a Cancel button, alongside the Go buttons?

Feedback and Knowledge Base