How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

Selective export to Bibliographic Management Software (RefWorks, EndNote)

Students should be able to:

Flag, tag, tick or basket selected items in a Resource List (or Lists) and then export them to one of the standard Bibliographic Management applications, such as RefWorks or Endnote.

For RefWorks, and other systems, a direct export facility should be offered; with a RIS formatted indirect export as a fallback.

Aspire is not a Bibliographic Management application, but needs to integrate as easily as possible with applications which are. Students who are being encouraged to consult materials in their studies will want to be able to cite and refer to those materials in their work using the referencing tools their institution offers.

Direct export makes that as easy as possible; selective export allows students only to grab the items they want to for export.

6 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Richard Cross shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  chrisc responded  · 

I’m marking this idea as completed. We’ve got some more enhancements to do here, including selective export of citations (which we’re planning to implement from the My Bookmarks screen) but the spirit of this idea is now delivered to the application. For enhancements, please raise new ideas or email LIS-ASPIRE where there is an active thread discussing this feature.

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Richard Cross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to see that this is Under Review! One of the (many) challenges in progressing this successfully is that Aspire lists are populated with Items drawn from different sources (and manually created from scratch) and without any processing or field format validation being carried out on the Aspire side. When students export from a A&I or full-text database, they can expect the metadata to be consistently formatted at the point of export and for a tool like RefWorks to process the incoming data to the matching fields on the RefWorks side in a consistent way. This is a critical part of the reference management process, because being able to select a variety of citation and bibliography formats from the data is premised on some fundamental assumptions about things like Author names being consistently represented in that data. If I understand correctly, what Aspire holds is text strings against bibliographic field types.

• Christine Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would welcome this.
    In particular, as we have not yet got Refworks working with Prism 3, it would be very useful to have it in Aspire.

Feedback and Knowledge Base