How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

Have you read this? - Tagging

Responses from a recent Aspire focus group with undergraduates showed that although they felt the 'Have you read this' tagging was a useful feature- most would only use it if they could display a list of items tagged as 'planning to read' or 'have read'. Other suggestions were to indicate the 'read' status in the main resource list view.

7 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ian Corns (Talis) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Richard Cross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm thinking that there are at least a couple of different development options here - one is to allow users to indicate their intentions regarding individual items, and filter their view of the List by that status; another is to let users see the intentions of other (anonymous) users in respect of this item on this List. However, as this currently ranks 58th (as I type) in the list of possible Ideas with no votes at all, I'm wondering if that chunk of the page real estate in the Item View might need to be looked at more urgently than progress on this functionality will allow. In other words, should that block of the page get reexamined for other uses?

• Richard Cross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good to see some development on this. I think both the option for a user to filter the view of a list (by drop-down list which included 'Not yet rated'?) and to see the status of items in a browse view of the list would be useful. I take Ian's point on the limitations of the term 'Read', but possibly an extended 'Read / review' term would suffice (I wouldn't want to dispense with 'Read' in favour of 'Critically intellectually engage with...' or similar).

• AdminIan Corns (Talis) (Admin, Talis) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMPORTED COMMENTS HISTORY
    21/07/2009 13:23:35 [Chris Clarke (Talis)]
    I do feel that we haven't yet developed enough functionality around the 'Have you read this' function - the first step as you say allowing the user to see all the things they are planning to read.

05/08/2009 09:04:47 [nicola.tricker]
    I also think that if we are encouraging academics to add non-book items to lists, then the term "read" isn't particularly helpful, and we should be looking for an alternative.

06/08/2009 01:22:30 [a.moore]
    Rather than having pre-set categories, wouldn't it be more useful for students to decide their own tag? Aren't we missing the benefits of free-text tagging to the learning process by setting pre-defined tags?

Feedback and Knowledge Base