How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

Displaying items by week required

Ideas from student focus group:

One of the key comments from all participants was to be able to view their resource list readings by week required.

2 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ian Corns (Talis) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminIan Corns (Talis) (Admin, Talis) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMPORTED COMMENTS HISTORY
    21/07/2009 00:39:42 [Ian Corns (Talis)]
    We touched on this in discussions yesterday, with a first step being seen as the academic providing a note to the library and being able to include this information.
    When considering inputting this as a date period/range/time, the challenges would include how to define that for the range of potential inputs (Semester 1, Weeks 2-5, 12 Oct 2009 to 15 Oct 2009) and make the input easy and consistent.
    Have you given any thought onto how you would like to tackle this, or (probably more importantly) what sort of date ranges you'd be likely to encounter?

21/07/2009 01:18:19 [Fiona Greig]
    I agree with this idea, and students here also raised it as a "would really like" requirement. But when we discussed it with the academics not all of them think they work this way and do not currently give expected dates to the resources.
    But I do wonder if they had a "calandar" type view. The kind of thing where you pick a start date and then an end-date might be the way forward. That way they can think of it as either weeks 5-12; term 1 or even for x assignment. But the system records the dates in a consistant format.
    I know from developing and deploying other systems visual gizmos and gadgets like a calender tool. Just a thought.

21/07/2009 10:43:23 [a.moore]
    In our focus group the discussions were around the ability to tag items in a similar way to blog postings. The ability to add a tag to an item, view a tag cloud, and to click on a tag to display all items with that tag. This would give academics the flexibility to use their own terminology. If the course has defined week-by-week readings (and many of our first year undergraduate courses do) the items can be tagged by weeks. Some of our academics tend to group books under themes, so a flexible tagging approach would allow students to display a list of items for a particular theme.

21/07/2009 11:03:37 [Ian Corns (Talis)]
    The problem with tagging items is consistency in terms of tags - a wider goal is to be able to analyse by time between subsets or all lists. So, as a student look at next 4 weeks over 5 lists. Or as library, look across stock trends for depts or all lists. Uncontrolled tagging doesn't do this.
    The problem with calendar input is it could be a pain selecting for each resource (start/end), though I could see maybe this mapping to a wider controlled set of tags.
    The overarching rqmt, to capture "time" of relevance, is certainly valid. The method of doing this is still not clear to me and we have had numerous discussions on this over the last 12months.

21/07/2009 13:21:08 [Chris Clarke (Talis)]
    Hmm interesting. One of the things I've been kicking around is being able to create a list from a set of pre-configured templates.
    Amongst other things, these templates could include time-based sections that can carry both a text title but also convey a date range. So we could set up a template pre-titled with both terms like "week 1" (as Annette suggests) and date ranges (as I think Fiona and Ian are suggesting).
    With the "template" already set up, academics dropping resources into the relevant section for week 1 would automatically then be associated with both the correct terminology but also a date range without having to do this manually for each resource.
    Because we also have date ranges as well as the actual text we could do comparison between lists helping us towards the calendar views or "show me all resources needed this week" scenarios I think Ian is alluding to.
    Chris

22/07/2009 04:44:18 [p.c.hignell]
    Hello, My feeling is that taught students are generally focused on their readings on a week-by-week basis. Categorised tags (e.g. Week 1, Week 2, Week 3) would allow a controlled tagging environment from which you could analyse across lists.

Feedback and Knowledge Base