How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

Prepare for RDA

We notice that RDA records (Resource Description and Access), which are now beginning to appear, are not being bookmarked fully with publication details into Aspire. This is because RDA uses MARC field 264 instead of 260, and Aspire doesn't yet 'recognise' 264. Please could Aspire be made 'RDA-ready' for when we, and no doubt many other customers, move to RDA.

We haven't yet implemented RDA but plan to do so soon, and we are already accepting records for downloading that are in RDA MARC format.

19 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sandra Cockburn shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gillian Leal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please let me know how much progress has been made on this as the lack of publication information is causing a real issue with the RDA entries on our reading lists. As RDA records are becoming more and more commen, this problem will only increase. I had rather hoped this issue might have been resolved by now. Could you please advise why the idea has now been archived.
        Thank you

• Sandra Cockburn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May I also add, we are no longer using the GMD in field 245, i.e. 245$h[electronic resource], because of RDA, which means we don't now see the 'electronic resource' text in our e-book reading list resources. I know the blue 'online resource' helps to identify these resources from printed book ones but there's no means of identifying 'book' vs 'e-book' when it comes to reviewing list resources. Perhaps this is tied in with customer requests to have 'e-book' and 'e-journal' as resource types in the metadata.

• Gillian Leal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I notice this idea is scheduled but could you please advise of any progress on this. We are now regularly using RDA records and the publication details are not being pulled through to the reading list bookmarks. This information is very important to our users and the lack of it is becoming an issue.

• Lucy Clifford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the timeline on this? We're getting quite a few RDA records now and the publication information isn't being added to Aspire bookmarks.

• Andrew Christison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to the change from 260 to 264, there are also some changes in RDA for Creator fields - please can this also be taken into account?

Creator entries - In RDA there is a relationship designator which goes after the 100/700 field which describes their contribution e.g. |eeditor, |eauthor.

Feedback and Knowledge Base