How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

Icons for different types of alerts (items with changes) Reviews 2.0

At present the exclamation mark alert in Reviews in 2.0 can mean a number of things (change of importance/notes/new edition/enrolments etc).

We would much prefer to have symbols to differentiate between these types of alerts, when reviewing we need to be able to quickly drill down what changes have been made so are concentrating on items of priority. For example if a list has student numbers changed this could cause alerts for all items but it's not clear which of those have new edition flags unless you check each one which isn't an efficient use of time.

I haven't found this idea already raised in the ideas forum yet but if it exists and I missed it please merge this to the original idea.

Thanks
Kristy

27 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kristy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Hazel Rothera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tend to agree with both of you: a) the exclamation mark is generally ignored, because so many different things trigger it; and b) agree with Rachel that the "New edition" function is so inaccurate as to be useless. It appears to go off publication dates rather than edition statements, so things like e-books, paperback reprints, etc appear to trigger it. It would be so helpful if the New Edition flag were actually meaningful and reliable!

• R Bramley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes - team members don’t really use the alert now because it’s so generic.
    They don’t really pay much attention to the alerts unless it’s the “new” alert, because the exclamation point is such a catch all. However, a flag for new editions wouldn't save me any time because I don't really trust the "new edition" function, so I always check with Amazon/Oasis regardless. I've found this function to be really hit and miss; it sometimes shows the flag even if there isn’t a new edition, or tells you it can’t find any edition information. I’ve seen it get confused with different formats (e/paper/hardback) as well. This'd need to be fixed by Talis (if possible) before I could get any use out of a separate flag.

Feedback and Knowledge Base