How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

Add archive options at rollover

We want to be able to pick by school or department whether or not we want to automatically archive the previous time period's lists at the point of rollover.
(We've not done a rollover yet so haven't seen the screen in order to add further details/requests, but I understand from Support this isn't possible.)
Thanks.

5 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Georgina Parsons shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Wayne Morris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've voted for Georgina's idea http://ideas.talisaspire.com/forums/189041-talis-aspire-ideas-2013/suggestions/3574550-add-ability-to-batch-publish-etc-lists.

I was under the impression that bulk archiving was coming, as Outlined by Georgina. I was sure I'd read some written by Ian Corns, either in an e-mail to me, but more likely on Ideas or Support that tentativley suggested Talis were exloring this.

I can't track it down now :-(.

• Georgina Parsons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Wayne,

We also have this problem and have been requesting a 'bulk list action' feature for a long time. I've already recreated the idea in the new forum as mentioned below - please look at/comment on/vote for http://ideas.talisaspire.com/forums/189041-talis-aspire-ideas-2013/suggestions/3574550-add-ability-to-batch-publish-etc-lists .

It seems to us that a way to select multiple lists (by school, department, time period, status, owner, a search, and un/ticking ones on the list to make final tweaks to our selection) and then choosing the action to carry out (archive, hide, unpublish, delete, assign list owner, whatever) is the most efficient way of introducing a new feature to include the batch-archive solution but also address many other issues we face.

(I don't think we need separate ideas for batch archive, batch publish, etc - and we also have to try to keep the number of ideas low so we don't run out of votes too soon!)

Our understanding is that Talis can understand our logic but are not hearing enough demand from customers for batch functions. I can't understand why sites would prefer to manually take actions on hundreds lists one by one (unless they're much better staffed than us!)... maybe there's just low engagement in voting? Do spread the word, it's good to hear more support for this!

Thanks,
    Georgina

Keji
    Thanks for the update.

I'm afraid this leaves us, and I guess a number of other institutions, with the problem of having to manually archive old lists for years gone by. It will be the case for all pre-2012/13 lists in our case (hundreds).

I suppose I'll have to raise a more explicit idea for this.

Regards

Wayne

• AdminKeji Adedeji (Product Manager, Talis) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Wayne,

We addressed the ability to archive lists at the point of rollover only, there is currently no facility in Aspire to perform bulk archiving of lists.

When archiving "old" lists as part of rollover, "old" refers to lists with the time period " you are rolling over from.

Please read this short FAQ: http://support.talisaspire.com/entries/21303947-Does-Aspire-archive-the-previous-periods-list-on-bulk-rollover-

And also this article about rollover: http://support.talisaspire.com/entries/20292356-Rolling-over-lists-to-a-new-time-period-in-bulk

Hi Keji

Its good to see the inclusion of this feature.

Could you however, outline exactly how this works please? Can we only bulk archive lists at the point of rollover, or is there a separate function in Aspire to bulk archive lists?

When archiving 'old' lists during rollover, what is meant by 'old'? Is it simply the year that is being copied across to the new year, or does it include all instances of that list from all previous years?
    Thanks
    Wayne

Like Wayne, we'd love an update on the timescale. Despite the support for the disassociation from rollover, you've confirmed outside Ideas that you're only currently looking at adding archiving to rollover, so I just wanted to clarify that for the commenters. For batch archiving separately from rollover, please see our new Idea at http://ideas.talisaspire.com/forums/189041-talis-aspire-ideas-2013/suggestions/3574550-add-ability-to-batch-publish-etc-lists Thanks.

Could we have some timescales for this planned development please?

We've some important archiving tasks ahead, that would benefit greatly from some form of bulk archiving by year.

• Liz Blacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would fully support Ian's idea of separating the bulk archive from the bulk rollover enabling us to choose the years we wish to archive, and the flexibility to do this at any point in the academic year. We would find this function immensely helpful and time-saving.

We would also like the ability to choose whether to automatically "request review" on the lists that we roll over (since we'll most likely have to roll to published rather than draft next year, getting some departments' lists automatically into review would probably help, especially if we succeed in getting the fact that a list is under review to display to students).

Whilst entirely separate batch list functions are definitely also required, I do think it would be very beneficial to include them in rollover too, so that we can be absolutely sure we're working on the same set of lists, and don't have to rely on remembering the exact selections or things changing between jobs.

I can definitely see the benefit of it being disassociated from rollover. Generally more flexibility is needed in archiving and certainly selections based on everything possible would be welcome - time period, school, department, and then that could show us a list of lists meeting those criteria that would be archived, and at this point we could untick any exceptions that we don't want to archive.

• AdminIan Corns (Talis) (Admin, Talis) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Considering this, I wonder if the flexibility of this could be increased if the archive option was disassociated from the rollover function. So, a bulk archive function where you choose a time period and archive all lists with that time period associated. It may also make it easier to choose a point in the hierarchy to archive from.

Although this would mean you'd run the bulk archive after the bulk rollover (so 2 steps), it would bring the added flexibility for those institutions who want to keep three years worth of lists. It also removes the dependancy on doing a rollover to be able to bulk archive.

Feedback and Knowledge Base