How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

prevent academics from publishing list before sending for review

Academics with list publishing rights can publish their amendments without sending their list for review. This by-passing of library staff in the workflow process can cause problems for users: not linking to the latest edition, not enough copies, poor metadata etc. It would even help library staff with an acquistions role if they were alerted every time a list attched to an academic was amended and published

3 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Martin Foy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • AdminIan Corns (Talis) (Admin, Talis) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My one concern with this idea - the basis of which I agree has value - is that in many cases the library does not want to be notified the academic has amended their list. They could be adding an annotation to a resources, moving resources to a new section, correcting a spelling mistake. This goes as far as addign resources - would the library need to be notified if the academic added a website (say, the BBC ) to their list.

One alternative suggestion i've heard many times (but don't believe has been raised y customers) is the idea to prompt the academic when they click publish if they would also like to notify the library (provide a checkbox on the 'Do you wish to publish this list' warning box along the lines of 'Would you like to submit the list to the library for review as well'.

I think this approach avoids many of the scenarios mentioned initially, but captures the spirit ofthe idea. Feel free to disagree though!

Also, I would highlight another useful idea - http://ideas.talisaspire.com/forums/32805-campus-edition-ideas/suggestions/2462591-being-able-to-publish-a-list-when-adding-an-item - which allows academic to publish their list when adding an item (especially useful for the 'Create and Add to List' workflow).

Feedback and Knowledge Base