How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

Don't delete review logs

Both subject and acquisition librarians review stock each year for items on reading lists, and decide on purchases based on various data. In Aspire, there is a very helpful log for notes, but we'd like two improvements:
a) it should be exported along with the review outcome and item data
b) it should never be deleted. If a second review takes place, all of the work done and notes made in the first review is lost. Review history should always be kept.

10 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Georgina Parsons shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kevin O'Donovan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo what's been said already. I am about to review a list that's been re-submitted, after a previous review had been done (by me) a month previously. I process a lot of lists and cannot remember exactly what had been done with this one, there are a lot of students and numerous expensive titles marked as essential reading. I had made notes about how many copies to be bought, what ratio to order to, etc... but I cant view them now. The review function is somewhat useless like this. It's akin to drawing a picture in the air with your finger. At the time you can see what it is, but as soon as it's finished, you have to rely on your own memory.

Or export every single review data each time you do it and create a parallel database or shared folder with the review information stored in it... which seems pointless replication of work, and surely Aspire should be doing this?

• Mieko Yamaguchi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since voting has closed I cannot add my support to this idea but we have just found to our horror all review outcome notes disappeared as soon as the review is marked 'Complete'. I wish this feature had been made clear! Please make it possible to retain review outcomes.

• Michael Fake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely vital if the inbuilt review process is going to add any benefit to the Library at all. Keeping a log of how/why acquisitions decisions have been made is one of the benefits we thought this system offered us - but there seems no point in using the review functionality if that information will be lost the moment the review is completed as we'll just end up having to work through every item every year, just like we did with paper.

• Liz Blacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are just starting devising a workflow for the review process and this is a question that has been asked by our information librarians. On the trial I carried out I was extremely dismayed to see that the review log had disappeared! It is crucial that this information is retained otherwise we will be in the same position as described by Lucy below. Our librarians need this information to be always retained

• Lucy Clifford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our subject librarians are keeping hundreds of lists in the Reviews section because they don't want to mark them as complete and risk losing the review history if the list is re-submitted for review. This is severly slowing the system down (even after last nights upgrade).

We really need the review history to be kept even if a list is re-submitted for review.

Feedback and Knowledge Base