How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

Add 'report' as a resource type

Could you add 'report' as a another resource type when adding resources please?

5 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ian Haydock shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
backlog  ·  Keji Adedeji responded  · 

This is not currently in our near term development focus so it has been moved to the longer term backlog.

Ideas may be graduated from the backlog as we get through the ones that are planned.

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Georgina Parsons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem we seem to have with digital readings is that they are articles and go in as an article, but then I'm told Aspire adds additional links to find the article ("check for local subscriptions..."), and it's confusing. Maybe we'll have to start putting them in as documents...

• AdminIan Corns (Talis) (Admin, Talis) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Georgina - FYI, we adhere to www.bibliontology.com. I think customisable resource types would have to be implemented from this standard, though the idea is sound and it may be worth revising this idea or adding a new one (because it would subsume all ideas based on 'can we have report type x'). I still think would need to be a limited subset.

On 'digital reading', I've personally always felt strongly that the delivery mechanism needs to be seperated from the resource type. So the RT is 'Book' and the delivery mechanism is 'Electronic'. Though their is a slightly different implication in digitised reading, if my understanding is correct, that it implies scanned chapters/articles. Instinct tells me this is not a resource type, but again, that there is a user scenario in there - 'Allow a student to find resource on their list with digitised readings' or 'let the library determine material they have scanned'. These, by implication, mean that their should be some method to identify digitised materials even if that is not by a resource type.

• Georgina Parsons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it not possible for us to add our own resource types - would this be an option? E.g. we're not fussed about reports but we'd like a "digital reading" type... In the hierarchy it is annoying that we have to see all the options not just the ones we use (school, dept, module), and similarly it would not be too user-friendly if we saw an awful lot of resource types when we only use a limited selection. Customisable resource type lists might be a handy way around this. Just a thought :-)

Feedback and Knowledge Base