Talis Aspire Reading Lists

Welcome to Talis Aspire Ideas Forum.

How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Bulk Archiving

We would like to be able to bulk archive reading lists for a given time period at the end of September each year.

Our policy is to keep the current year's reading lists public in Aspire until the end of September for the benefit of any students that are doing re-sits. However, the only bulk option for archiving lists is only available during the Rollover of lists to a new time-period. We rollover lists at the end of the Summer term (June) so that academics or library staff can start editing the list for the next academic year. So from…

31 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

18 comments  ·  Bulk Actions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      planned  ·  Keji Adedeji responded

Can anyone spare half an hour to talk to me about bulk actions. I’d like to understand the selection criteria you would use for this and other bulk actions

• Book Metadata Refresh: list the items that were linked

When the Book Metadata Refresh notification email comes, it gives a figure for the number of items that were linked to the library catalogue. It would be useful to be able to see which items have been linked by Admin>Review Jobs>Show Details. That way we could compile a monthly list which library staff could use to spot
      a) titles where Note For Student / Not for Library can be removed
      b) alternative bookmark suggestions for List Owners (eg substituting new editions that have arrived)

26 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Bulk Actions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Manual entry - fields appear automatically according to resource type selected

Would be helpful, when using manual add, if once you had selected the resource type, a standard set of entry fields could appear automatically, as appropriate to the type of resource, e.g. for article, 'author', 'page numbers', 'part of' & for journals, 'volume', 'date' etc.

23 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Bookmarking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Dropdown menu when editing lists so references can be moved to a particular week rather than needing to be dragged and dropped

A few academic staff at our institution have found it frustrating and time consuming to move references from one week to another when editing their reading lists using the existing drag and drop method. It would be helpful if, in edit mode, there was a 'move to' option whereby a reference could, for example, be moved from Week 1 to Week 9 without the need to drag it all the way down to the bottom of the reading list. It would be good if this could work along the same lines as the 'create & add to list' option when…

12 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  List Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A ‘move to section’ option is planned as part of list editing improvements

• Export bibliography in list order (not alphabetical)

We would like to be able to export a reading list in a bibliographic citation format but keeping the list structure, e.g. week one, week two etc. The current export options are 'export to PDF' which only lists title/author and doesn't contain the full bibliogaphic detail, or the 'view bibliography' button which lists everything alphabetically by author.

Our academics need to add reading list content to their printed course outlines so we need to be able to export reading lists from Aspire into the course outline, with a 'week by week' structure where appropriate. Many academics are understandably extremely reluctant…

10 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Changing the name of the 'Link to Hierarchy' field to 'link to module(s)'.

When creating a list, changing the name of 'Link to Hierarchy' field to 'Link to module code(s)' would be a better name and easier to understand. Could we this be changed please?

7 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Separator for multiple authors

Where a resource has multiple authors the names are currently separated by a comma. This could be confusing for a non-Librarian as a comma is also used between first name and last name. Could a semi-colon be to separate authors instead?

4 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Edit bookmark 'notes' field

Currently when editing a bookmark the notes field does not appear again.

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Bookmarking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Include the Ability to Add the 'Format' field within a bookmark

Sometimes when bookmarking the 'Format' field will be automatically included in the record. When it is not, there is no option from the drop-down to add it. This must be a simple thing to rectify, and is causing us to use workarounds when listing eBooks where the field is not present.

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Bookmarking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • My Lists display - filter to current temporal period

With the assignment of temporal values to lists (e.g. year) 'My Lists' lists could become long for those customers using a combination of rollover and devolved permissions. Where one or more temporal values were set in a tenancy, the My Lists display could default to the current temporal period - in effect, showing academics their currently active lists by default (with a 'See all' option to open up the display to all lists)

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add options to the look-up for IsPartof/HasPart items

For item records which include an HasPart/IsPartof element the look-up function should appear under the isPartof tab (rather than the HasPart tab, as at present).

Where an Item record is a Book Chapter or Journal Article, when selecting the look-up (for LCN, ISBN or DOI), Aspire should prompt the user - 'Do you wish to update the entire record, or only the Book/Journal tab?' - giving users the option either to overwrite the entire record or to retain the HasPart element while refreshing the IsPartOf

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bookmarking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This will be addressed by the bookmarking improvements planned for Q2

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base