Talis Aspire Reading Lists

Welcome to Talis Aspire Ideas Forum.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Importing citataions

From one of our academics ...

Being able to import bookmark items from Delicious (others would want endnote).

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Bookmarking  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  chrisc responded

This feature is complete but we are beta testing it with a small group of academics before making it generally available. This is so we can ensure the import is working for a wide range of situations.

2. Linking and 'new window' option

I'm aware that (a) web accessibility compliance restricts certain linking behaviours and that (b) Talis are looking at the options to iframe more linked content *within* Aspire- but I would still like to explore the idea of an additional optional 'Open in a new window' button for the key external outbounds links in Aspire. As an end user I would like to have the option to keep my List in view in one window while navigating my way through outcomes (such as a Library Catalogue- online vendor- e-Content provider) in another. I find the experience of 'losing' my List as…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Keji Adedeji responded

Please contact support if you wish to enable this behaviour on your tenancy

3. Delete a list

To assist final data conversion it would be good to be able to delete an Aspire list in full. It would certainly help us now- but might also be useful in managing the tenancy longer-term as academics leave or courses are discontinued- being able to kill unwanted lists completly may be in order????

Another benefit is that it allows us to get rid of test lists that we are not 'proud' of. With Aspire exposed to search engines it kind of makes sense to allow 'play' and then taking back to base level to keep standards high????

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  List Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released “Archive List” to live, which is in effect the deletion of a list, as archived lists are not available from the hierarchy or search

4. Profiles for Permissions

Now that we are allocating different permissions to both library staff and academics- it would be useful to be able to see user profiles with their various permission levels. Are there any planned developments around this issue?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This profile element of this feature has now been released – soon, we’ll add the user’s permissions to this profile (viewable only by role admins).

5. Bookmark tool for Safari

We are now starting to get uptake from some of our Arts and Technology types and their prefered browser is Safari; getting a bookmarlet tool for that would be helpful - or is there a work-around?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Have you read this? - Tagging

Responses from a recent Aspire focus group with undergraduates showed that although they felt the 'Have you read this' tagging was a useful feature- most would only use it if they could display a list of items tagged as 'planning to read' or 'have read'. Other suggestions were to indicate the 'read' status in the main resource list view.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Option to apply a Citation Style to a resource list

In the early days of discussion around the development of Talis Aspire- we talked about displaying resources in a list using a choice of Citation Styles.

Although there is further metadata in the Availability- Buying Options and Notes view of an item- I think it would improve the look of the list and be useful to all users (students- academics or library staff) to see the full reference as a citation.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  List Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

List Bibliography feature allows the contents of an Aspire list to be viewed in a citation style

8. Making setting the importance of an item for Acquisition more obvious

Marking the importance of items on a list is essential information in order for the Library to ensure additional copies and new titles are ordered when resourcing a course. I would like to see the 'importance' drop-down list and 'note to library field' having a higher visibility . I think this needs to be done at the point of adding an item to a list - - currently a tutor would need to go back into each item they have added to a list to mark the 'importance'. When you Create and Add an Item directly to a list- a…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Reviews  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Availabilty check

Use API technology to search against key possible supplierse (in our case Coutts- Dawsons- SWETS- Amazon) to find current availbility- including price. This to be appended to the request information

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve implemented a feature to look up in Coutts Oasis/Abe Books via a widget in the acquisitions review area. We’re in discussion with Dawson about a similar lookup to DawsonEra.

10. User hits dead end when browsing the hierarchy and discovers a course with no linked lists

If a user is browsing the hierarchy and there is no list linked to a course- when they click on the course title- the page is blank below the course title. Can there be a standard message displayed along the lines of - 'there are currently no lists linked to this course'.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This has now been completed and released to live

11. Automatic Save when Creating / Editing a list

Several times when creating a list- we have lost changes due to not saving the list before leaving the page to add further resources to My Bookmarks. Different resources open up pages in a new window and it is easy to move away from a list you are editing.

Is it feasible to have changes to the list save automatically as you add an item or remove one?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. RSS changes to lists

Academics- particually those that share edit rights; or where the academics are editing the lists dynamically; it is important to allow an easy 'watch this list' type funtion. RSS seems the obvious way but there may be others ...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Users can now subscribe to an RSS feed per list or one covering changes for the whole tenancy

13. Make it easier for students to find items they have made personal notes on

As suggested- a comment made on another idea. It would be good if in the personalised areas there was a filter to lists/items with personal notes 'attached'.

This would fit into the student revision workflow. At high stress and time poor periods students will want a quick way to get back to resources they found helpful.

I think a feature like this would encourage them to put notes on in the first place. At the moment there is not a great incentive to use the notes area.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Tracking academic involvment

It would be really helpful (for unmediated services) to be able to track the activities of academics. Things like:-

When they were registered
    Did they accept the invitation
    When they first created/edited a list
    How often they are in 'edit' mode on the lists

Matt has provided us a text-file of the email adresses that invites have gone out to- but that was a 'one-off' request and while helpful- it cannot really help with the engagement and 'user ed' work my subject librarian friends want to do.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have delivered this through the user activity console – please email Ian Corns to gain access

15. ISBN Look Up when Bookmarkleting

A Look Up feature- similar to the DOI one would be useful to populate the bookmarklet form if the author / title details are not imported. Possibly a 'look up' using the ISBN to search COPAC?

Annette

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. When reviewing lists, show user manifestations that may be equivalent to the current resource

For each purchase recommendation it would be good if Aspire could automatically make use of something like x-ISBN to find all possible 'manifestations' of the item requested- and then run each version against the LMS to determin allready in stock. It should also be used to search across the tenancy to see if any other lists are pointing to a different 'version' of the item

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reviews  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

we are investigating the surfacing of the edition checking capability introduced in Quick Add within the reviews area

17. Displaying items by week required

Ideas from student focus group:

One of the key comments from all participants was to be able to view their resource list readings by week required.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing Lists & Items  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Removing lists from 'my lists'

Academic staff don't always teach the same courses year on year so they would need to be able to remove from their 'my lists' area- the ones for which they are no longer responsible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This has been completed and delivered to product.

19. Share experiences on engaging with academics

I think it would be useful to have somewhere where customers could share successes (and failures) in engaging academics with Aspire. This could be simple tips and 'funny' stories- to detailed strategies and approaches you have applied with assessments on the outcome.

I'm not sure what form this community would be delivered in- but would be keen to know if people thought it would be valuable.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add bookmark directly to a list

It would be useful to be able to 'refresh' My Bookmarks list from within the Edit List view as there may be an item that you want to add to a list but that you haven't yet bookmarkleted. If you move away from the list and Bookmarklet the resource- at the moment it is necessary to Save and close the list you are working on and go back into Edit List in order for the new Bookmark item to appear in the list in Edit view.

Ideally- from the library perspective it would be very useful to be able to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base