Talis Aspire Reading Lists

Welcome to Talis Aspire Ideas Forum.

How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Additional reports: list and item usage statistics

We would like to suggest two additional reports for the Reports menu that would provide list and item usage statistics globally across departments and modules with the aim of demonstrating the value of reading lists and impact on item usage. One report for Page views and one for Item Views.

Key fields we would like to see included are; page view (main list page), module code, module title, department, the number of students on the course, number of items on a list and for Item Views the item format.

48 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      investigating  ·  Keji Adedeji responded

The existing reporting infrastructure cannot report on usage data as it is stored differently. We will be doing some investigation into how usage data can be exposed.

• Export dashboard numbers to excel

Ability to be able to export all of the dashboard numbers into a .csv or excel file. At the moment the only way to access this data that I know of is to individually open each list and click on the dashboard. This is very time consuming and we would like to easily compare dashboard numbers across the lists to see which lists are being used. We can then approach lecturers with low dashboard numbers.

26 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  5 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Include top level hierarchy code or name in all list reports

We already get the hierarchy code that a list is attached to in the All List report. I'd also like the top level hierarchy name or code to appear - for us this is institute. This would allow me to easily extract high level engagement information to pass on to Heads of Institute. At the moment, it's a manual task to go through a report and attach Institute info to each module in order to sort and filter.

19 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Exclude Note field from being included in item count

We would like the item count at the top of each list to include only actual resources, not the note fields that contain supplementary information.

11 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Library Review report - review outcomes

* Review decisions - for a given date range, an all-List Item report on Review Outcomes (e.g. 'How many "On order" items were created from Review in August 2010')

11 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  3 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • All Lists report to flag TADC digitisations

The All Lists report should include a column showing the TADC digitisation availability in some way - bundle URL or TADC record number would be useful. I noticed this absence when using the All Lists report to check on chapters which might require digitisation/purchase as ebooks across our tenancy.

8 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Report on number of lists linked to higher levels in hierarchy than node list is linked to

We have a requirement to report on the number of lists linked to a faculty and number of lists linked to a department. Our hierarchy goes faculty>department>module. Lists are directly linked to modules. The Hoerarchy Snapshot Report allows us to report on number of lists attached to amodule but not number of lists attached to a higher level in the hierarchy.

7 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  backlog  ·  Keji Adedeji responded

This is not currently in our near term development focus so it has been moved to the longer term backlog while we focus on items in the development focus.

Ideas may be graduated from the backlog as we get through the ones that are planned.

• Library Review report - submission to completion

Submission to Completion reporting - for a given date range, report on how long library reviews took from the time of academic request of a review of a List to library completion. (Currently the All Reviews screen itself does not timestamp the Completed action; but libraries are likely to want to report on their processing times for submitting lists [perhaps against SLAs, KPIs and the like].)

6 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

The reviews refresh will be ensuring we capture this data but in the first instance will not be providing this report. We will return to this once the new reviews is up and running so it has been moved to the longer term backlog.

Ideas may be graduated from the backlog as we get through the ones that are planned.

• LCN reporting

I am resurrecting an old idea that wasn't persued do to lack of votes! It would be useful if we could generate a report which shows all items linked to an LCN number which no longer exists in the library catalogue. We publish more than 2000 lists a year and order items for most. We need a reliable way to check that the LCNs we have linked to are still 'live' as cancelled orders can cause an LCN to exist long enough to be linked to a list. Once the item is cancelled by a supplier the LCN is invalid…

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• New reports - most popular books or resources

We have Aspire linked to our Library catalogue so any book (journal, DVD etc) on a published reading list shows the titles of the modules that book is used on. For the Aquisitions team this is useful to see how the same book may be being used across the University as sometimes it is being used in more than one subject area and, therefore different funds.

I'd like to suggest that it would be useful to list the top (eg) 100 resources so we can see which resources are being used the most and ensure we have sufficient stock.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

This is not currently in our near term development focus so it has been moved to the longer term backlog while we focus on items in the development focus.

• Include the hierarchy code in the All List Items report. I would like to see which modules have not been updated recently. However, the upda

Include the hierarchy code in the All List Items report. I would like to see which modules have not been updated recently. However, the update date in the All List report is changed when rollover happens but the date an item was added does not change in the All List Items report therefore is an accurate reflection of a lists update date. Including the hierarchy in the all list items report allows it to be sorted by modules more easily and from there to identify the department.

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Word format output from reading lists

Add Word format (or even plain text) to the options for outputting from the lists.
                          Members of teaching staff are using our lists to cut and past information in to documents and it would be much easier to do this from Word than from PDf or RIS formats.
                          If Word is not possible, a txt file would be a good second best.
                          Thanks
                          Adam

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• add column to all lists report for 'last updated by'

It's really frustrating not being able to tell who last updated a list for erasons of trouble-shooting. For example we have some lists for the last time period that have been updated since rollover and I'd like to trace who has done that to check that they realise they are editing the old list not the new one. It could be one of the lecturers but it could also be a member of library staff. We can't see on the list itself (that would be ideal), but could we have it added to the all list report - it already…

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Include description field in all lists report

Where reading lists are non-standard, the description field can be used to indicate the unique nature of the list and therefore explain any anomalies when auditing lists. It would therefore be useful to have the description field included in the all lists report to allow better data manipulation.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

Keji Adedeji responded

will not be focusing on this due to low votes.

• Include edition field in item reports

The all items report includes most of the metadata that belongs to an item, but does not include the edition statement. Doing so would make it possible to see at a glance what items are added to lists and how they are formatted - identify edition statements in words, for example, which have implications for reference formatting. The editions functionality in reviews does something different, and does not allow you to create reports like this. Given how few fields there are in item records, we should be able to report on all of them.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Report on number of copies in the library

A report that shows the number of copies of each title in stock without having to check each title individually. this would be useful for acquisitions if you use a formula. You could see quickly if you had the right ratio of copies for the number of students on the course

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  Keji Adedeji responded

We will investigate the possibilities around this as part of the reviews work we are doing

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base