How can we improve Talis Aspire Reading Lists?

Linking and 'new window' option

I'm aware that (a) web accessibility compliance restricts certain linking behaviours and that (b) Talis are looking at the options to iframe more linked content *within* Aspire- but I would still like to explore the idea of an additional optional 'Open in a new window' button for the key external outbounds links in Aspire. As an end user I would like to have the option to keep my List in view in one window while navigating my way through outcomes (such as a Library Catalogue- online vendor- e-Content provider) in another. I find the experience of 'losing' my List as I explore the outcomes of individual items on it quite unsatisfactory

10 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ian Corns (Talis) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AdminKeji Adedeji (Product Manager, Talis) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What areas/links specifically would you like the additional toggle (similar to the eBook one)?

What if we could surface the link within Aspire, so that there is a clear path/breadcrumb trail, back to the list?

• Robbie Ireland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been thinking about this based on user feedback - it was one of the first things one of our academics comments on while using the system.

Would it be possible to this be to implement some kind of additional toggle, like the one which is currently planned for the electronic resource button. This could either surface on the list to open in a new tab or appear as a link in the bookmark explicitly stating that the resource will open in a new window.

• Caroline Thorpe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem does not arise when cycling between the list and the item but when opening up the item, be it a catalogue record, an ejournal article or a website.

Offering the same functionality as for the ebooks would be good. Why have different functionality for different web links?
        There is also the issue of integration in a VLE. Blackboard uses frames. If external sites are not opened in new windows then publications can look like they were produced by the university rather than an external publisher. Iframes create a nroblem for referencing and correctly attributing authorship.

• Caroline Thorpe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem does not arise when cycling between the list and the item but when opening up the item, be it a catalogue record, an ejournal article or a website.

Offering the same functionality as for the ebooks would be good. Why have different functionality for different web links?
        There is also the issue of integration in a VLE. Blackboard uses frames. If external sites are not opened in new windows then publications can look like they were produced by the university rather than an external publisher. Iframes create a nroblem for referencing and correctly attributing authorship.

• Ian Corns (Talis) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMPORTED COMMENTS HISTORY
        20/11/2009 05:11:22 [a.moore]
        I agree. From the user perspective, getting back to your list can be confusing when navigating through to the Catalogue or other resource as it opens up in the same window. We have received positive comments from our users regarding e-books opening in the inline viewer and this would work well for other full-text documents, but I would prefer access to Catalogues and similar resources to open in a new window as the user may want to navigate further away whereas full-text documents are more
        contained.
        Annette

Feedback and Knowledge Base