How can we improve Copyright Clearance in Talis Aspire?

Deletion of bookmark with request linked to it

I would like to request some sort of communication to be sent to the requester and to the Digitisation Service when a bookmark is deleted and has a digitisation request linked to it.

Our experience was with deletion of a bookmark with the request pending to be processed.

There was no automated communication to the requester to notify him/her that the deletion was for a bookmark that had a digitisation request attached to it.
There was no communication from the system to let the Digitisation Service or Admin side of TADC know that the bookmark had been deleted and therefore the request needed to be cancelled.

I am not sure what happens if the digitisation request is already live and the bookmark is deleted. I think the system needs to give some warning to the user so they don't accidentally delete and to the service, in case there is any action needed from our side.

40 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Robin Farndon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very useful to us, not least around TADC rollover. We've ended up with around 300 unlinked digitisations from this year's rollover.

• Julia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We find that the loss of a link can cost us money. We may pay several hundred pounds for copyright permission only to find sometime down the line when checking usage that a request has lost its link and therefore is no longer on the list. A warning on both systems is desperately needed.

• Melissa Campey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature really is needed. Having done the rollover we've identified requests that appear to have been unlinked for 11 months - the lecturer might have deleted the bookmark inadvertently and I'm also concerned about the accuracy of our CLA report if we don't know scans haven't actually been linked.

• Rose Beasley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A feature like this would be really beneficial for us, especially as we consider the implications that TADC rollover might have for workflows in the future. Any update on the review of this idea?

• Kristy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe we are now encountering this problem where a list has been deleted and replaced and all the digitised content is no longer linked. Really needs to flag both on TARL and the DC end when these changes are being made.

• Tania Rowlett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having experienced this issue a few times it does cause problems. All we can see on our side is that the list is live, so unless the list owner remembers what they have done, or we check the list changes, there is no way to know why the digitisation is not showinng on the list.

If there could be a warning when they click on delete to say 'this request has a digitisation attached, are you sure you want to delete' or something similar, that would be a big help for us.

• K. Beveridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes - if someone deletes the list /item in error, it 's a nuisance to have to re-request any digitisations. Even if they've decided not to use those particular items, it would be handy to know on the DC side.

• Fiona Paterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something we have started to experience with the new academic year. We have now had half a dozen occasions where people have been tidying lists and have deleted items with digitisations attached. We fear this is only going to get worse as we have more academics taking responsibility for their lists. I have sent an email alerting subject librarians to this issue but rather than having 'digitisation live' in black, could it be bolder or a different colour. Also, could there be a pop up message alerting the person to the fact that they are about to delete an item with a digitisation attached and make them click 'ok' to continue.

Feedback and Knowledge Base