Adding a note for library staff use
There are a number of scenarios where we would like to make a note against a request to flag up some special circumstances which apply to that request.
1) Explaining we are copyright compliant where it might look like we're not e.g. where page numbers look excessive/two sections of book which make up less than 5%
2) Explaining a discrepancy with the catalogue e.g. looks like we have an electronically available copy/sub but is actually a catalogue error
3) Renewals note e.g. determined at renewal that although there's a newer edition it doesn't have relevant chapter so will not be used
4) Notes about progress with obtaining an extract e.g. lecturer copy/other library/BL failure requiring action.
“All of the scenarios involving overriding the concierge or selecting an option allow the entry of notes.
The ability to enter more general notes is something we would like to explore but is is not currently in our near term development focus.
It has been placed into moved to the longer term backlog.
Ideas may be graduated from the backlog as we get through the ones that are planned. "
Catherine Riches commented
This would be so useful for us. Currently we have a basic database set up to record the progress on chapters/articles that are not straightforward (eg applying to BL for copyright fee-paid copy; contacted publisher re. second extract permission, etc) because there is no option to enter these on the main TADC page. This is really time consuming. The lack of notes makes it very complicated when sharing work amongst staff as everyone has to check to see if a request is currently being worked on or whether they need to pick it up. I would be really grateful if this was prioritised as a development as it would save a lot of time and duplication of effort/possible mistakes due to lack of info. As someone responsible for training new staff on Aspire it would be great to be able to explain things with a more straightforward, simplified process.
Ian Long commented
I really think a free text box to add comments would be really useful and i'm surprised its not already there. Its also important that any comments added to a request are retained when the item is rolled over so that whoever is reviewing the request can see the previous history.
Peter Turner commented
We also would like to see this progressed.
We also keep a spreadsheet and in many cases we don't want to override the concierge as it is logging the process. However, it is too fixed when it reaches copyright permission and we could use an intermediate stage to show that copyright is in process as this takes weeks and could be forgotten about.
We would ideally like to see a Request log showing the automated processing with an Add tab for free text entry to track the workflow decsions for this part of the process which happens outside TADC.
Sarah P commented
Another scenario when a note would be useful would be to record messages from BLDSC, eg when told to REAPPLY and date to reapply.
Tania Rowlett commented
This would be massive help to keep track of permissions too as we have now had to create a separate spreadsheet to log the permission requests we have made, to whom and when, what request number etc. This is a step backwards and time consuming to have to keep referring to another record for information.
1. With regards to the above scenario's, for the renewals we are having to check back against the catalogue, see how many pages are in the book, see how many pages we have scanned from a publication and calculation whether they are in the 5%. A note/comment which could be carried over at renewal would overcome this.
3. At renewals we are having to print out the catalogue record, go and get the book and check the book, only to find out that the chapter is not contained within it. A retention note would save this headache.
Hilary Skoyles commented
We would definitely appreciate a means of adding further information to the requests, particularly with so many of us in our team, knowing what was happening with an item would be a useful addition to help with the audit trail for a request.
Some more scenarios which we have to record on a separate spreadsheet and which could be recorded on the system in a "note" field:
- Item not available from BL - requested from another library
- Copies of title all on loan, hold placed for digitisation team
- Copy missing from library stock so ordered from BL
- Copy on order at BL. Expected supply date given
The "stages" feature doesn't seem appropriate for this. These are not stages which apply to all requests. A note feature would help to record actions/reports which apply to only a small number of requests.
It would be nice if we had the option to say (tick a box) if we wanted to let the academic receive the email or not on the updated note's field.