How can we improve Copyright Clearance in Talis Aspire?

Resource type for digital extracts

In the reading list module is it possible to have a resource type specifically for digital readings?

We need to be able to identify digital readings on any particular reading list and the existing options (chapter, article, document) all apply to other types of material as well as scanned readings.

4 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Peter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Keji Adedeji responded  · 

We saw a similar request in the reading list ideas forum. We will not be focusing on this idea as the digitisation is a delivery mechanism and is not the resource type.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Annushka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doesn't the blue 'online resource' button already do this? If correctly set up and linked every digitization has this button, as does every ebook.

• AdminIan Corns (Talis) (Admin, Talis) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Following our chat, I've captured some more business goals around this idea:

- Makes it easier to liase with an acacemic when discussing textbook substitution.
        - Lets students see what they can immediately get to without clicking to go elsewhere.
        - Promotes the service to students, to encourage positive feedback and service growth.
        - On very long list (200+) items, let’s academics see how much digitisation there is on their list as may want to request more.
        - Students prefer pdf’s to ebooks (can download but ebook delivered a page at a time)

It seems to me that achieve this, we'd be lookign for a filter rather than sort option.

• Ian Corns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having discussed this, couple of points/questions. Firstly, we don't think that 'digtised reading' would be a resource type, but a delivery mechanism. This is semantically important - the resource type is chapter or article, the delivery mechanism is digitally.

Secondly, you say "we" - who are you referring to? Students, academics or library staff? And what business scenario (for the user class) does this cover? Or to put another way, why would they want to only or quickly see just those items with digitised content associated?

I have my own thought on who/why but would prefer to remain unbiased, and understand this from your perspective.

Feedback and Knowledge Base