Talis Aspire Digitised Content

How can we improve Copyright Clearance in Talis Aspire?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Function to edit details of a request once it's live, without having to withdraw it first.

We would really like to be able to add ISBNs and ISSNs and other necessary metadata to a live request without having to withdraw it first. If you withdraw it you lose it from the vault. When it comes to CLA reporting you have to have the ISBN/ISSN to submit the report, but lecturers aren't forced to use it when they submit requests. I know that it would then recheck and give it a new number, but at least it would still all be linked up to the correct reading list as hadn't been withdrawn. This would make CLA report…

50 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

planned  ·  8 comments  ·  Request details & Upload  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Adding a note for library staff use

There are a number of scenarios where we would like to make a note against a request to flag up some special circumstances which apply to that request.

For example:

1) Explaining we are copyright compliant where it might look like we're not e.g. where page numbers look excessive/two sections of book which make up less than 5%

2) Explaining a discrepancy with the catalogue e.g. looks like we have an electronically available copy/sub but is actually a catalogue error

3) Renewals note e.g. determined at renewal that although there's a newer edition it doesn't have relevant chapter so will…

43 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Request details & Upload  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        planned  ·  Keji Adedeji responded

“All of the scenarios involving overriding the concierge or selecting an option allow the entry of notes.

The ability to enter more general notes is something we would like to explore but is is not currently in our near term development focus.

It has been placed into moved to the longer term backlog.

Ideas may be graduated from the backlog as we get through the ones that are planned. "

• Tracking and management of requests for clearance outside the licence

We sometimes have to make requests direct to copyright holders or to the CCC for requests that fall outside the licence. We think it would be useful to be able to track and record such requests - when and to whom the request was made, outcome, cost of licence etc. It would also be useful to be able to store the confimation of permission within the module.
        Such request also need to be flagged so that they can be taken into account at rollover time.

26 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Request Clearance Options  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Identifying close matches

We are coming across some items which we have already scanned by are not being recognised because the request information doesn't exactly match the biblio of the previous request(s).

This is causing us to rescan items or order CFPs where we don't need to, costing us time and money.

If the vault search could identify other requests from the same publication using ISBN or book title (view all requests for this book doesn't seem to be too reliable) and allow us to preview these scans we could then select the appropriate scan.

25 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Vault & Sentry  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Rename the Notes tab in the TADC Request form to be Footnotes, or similar

This idea suggestion is to rename the "Notes" tab in the TADC request form to be more descriptive of its function. My suggestion is to rename it to be "Footnotes", or "Bibliographies".

The Notes tab is confusing to our users. Some think it is a section for written notes and comments, while others think it can be used as a page range field when requesting chapters. It's actual purpose is for specifying the page ranges of footnotes and bibliographic pages to be digitised. As the Notes tab can't be disabled per institution the next best option is give it a…

15 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Request Form  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Ability to bulk change student numbers after the digitisation has gone live

We would like the opportunity to bulk change student numbers for each module. At the moment we can't always get the number of students enrolled on each module easily but you are required to submit students numbers when you submit a request. This may hold up the request. It would be a good idea to have the ability to change these at a later date. We could put a high number to indicate which ones need changing

12 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have some work scheduled to allow editing of request details after the digitisation is live

• Adding page numbers to Request Digitisation screen

Would it be possible to add 'page numbers' on the first tab of the Request Digitisation screen?

We are getting 90% of requests put through with the chapter/article page references in the Note fields (despite telling people this is not its purpose). This means we have to resubmit the request and edit the biblio.

This would also help us to select the best copy possible from our shelves. If we have ten copies of the book, but don't know what the pages requested are, we are having to write on the chapter title so we can identify the cleanest/unmarked book,…

11 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  3 comments  ·  Request Form  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Display Requests in reverse order

By default the requests are listed with the most recently submitted at the top. At this time of year when a lot of requests are coming in (but they are not required until September) we would prefer to work through them in the order they arrive (so start with request 1). We only went live this week but already I have to scroll to page 3 to find the earliest submitted request. Would it be possible to click on the column headings to change the order of the list?

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Workflow  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Indicate what field(s) are incorrect.....

When editing a Digitisation Request, I mis-typed an ISBN and got an error message "There were missing or invalid fields in your request” – but no indication as to which fields are missing or invalid.
                    Would be useful if the problem fields could be highlighted in some way.

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Request Form  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We will address this when we schedule the planned improvements to the request form

• Populate the page numbers for digitisation requests from the metadata of the reading list

At the moment the page numbers have to be entered when you request a digitsation AND when you upload content. I would like to see this data get pulled in from the reading list metadata and keep the option to add another page range or edit the page numbers.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Request details & Upload  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The page range is pulled into the request if it is in the reading list metadata, although it is not visible in the request form. We plan to redesign the request form which will include exposure of the fields on the types where it is not currently displayed.

• Article details automatically populated, even if DOI is available

We've noticed that when we are requesting an article to be digitised, it doesn't pull in any metadata other than the DOI (where available).
                        We think academics might think they need to add the other information manually.

Therefore, we were wondering if it's possible to automatically populate the rest of the fields at request stage. Just to make it clear that this information is being pulled across and they don't need to enter it themselves.

0 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Request Form  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This will be addressed as part of the planned changes to the request form

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base